Importing Documents into PSIsafe Books
There are a number of ways to import documents into PSIsafe Books (Books). The most obvious is scanning the documents using an attached scanner. The scanner must be TWAIN compliant. TWAIN is a scanning industry standard. Most popular scanners support this interface. Non-compliant models are not supported. Another avenue to import documents is to open a file from your local or network file folder. A final method to import documents into Books is to open them directly from PSIsafe. This means someone can scan document directly into PSIsafe while you use Books to file them in the correct vendor/customer folder.
Scanning is accomplished by selecting the available scanner using the Select Scanner option on the Scan menu. This selection is saved and unless a different scanner is needed it will not need to be selected again. There are three options available for scanning on the Scan Menu.
- Acquire from scanner – this scans all the documents from the scanner and places the images in the queue on the left side of the Books main screen for processing. The TWAIN scanner interface will be displayed when this option is selected, and the user will navigate this to start the scanning process. Each scanner model has a different interface based on the manufacturer and model.
- If images are already loaded into Books, the Insert Before Current Page option allows the user to insert more pages into the current image list. This provides a way of rescanning images which may not have been scanned properly into the correct place in the image list.
- If images are already loaded into Books, the Append After Last Page option allows the user to add more pages to the current image list. This is useful if the scanner’s feed tray only allows for a limited number of pages to be scanned at one time. Simply stack the next set of pages in the scanner and use this option to add them to the end of the image list.
Manipulating Images in Books
Once a list of images has been pulled into Books there are a number of options available from the main Image menu. A page is selected by clicking on the thumbnail of the image in the image list on the left side of the Books interface. Once selected, the user may Zoom In/Out, Rotate Left/Right, or Flip the image on an axis. These options are all available on the Image menu. In addition, the option to move forward or backward through the list of images can be accessed from this menu. The user may also delete the current page if it does not need to be filed. Occasionally, it is easier to scan a whole stack of documents and then simply delete the ones not needed instead of sorting the document prior to data entry. These functions are also available on the toolbar located immediately above the full size page in the center of the screen in Books.
Performing image manipulations in Books also includes the ability to add annotations to an image (Figure 21). Annotations may take the form of stamps or simply text to be added. Custom annotations may be created. Once the annotation is created, it may be used to stamp the document and can automatically include things such as the date/time, user name and/or user initials. Once an annotation is added to the document, it must be marked as permanent using the appropriate menu option from the Image menu.
PSIsafe Entry Fields Common to Input Panels
The panel input fields associated with PSIsafe allow you to modify the document filing preferences in PSIsafe (Figure 22). A description of these options follows. All of these options are located on the respective input panels (usually below all of the QuickBooks fields).
- The Pages to File dialogue is used to file a multipage document in PSIsafe. If you have scanned a multipage document, please enter the # of pages in this dialogue and a single document will be filed in PSIsafe with the correct # of pages.
- The Tab list is used to select the PSIsafe folder tab under which to file the document(s). This defaults to the tab selected in the company setup (Figure 1).
- The Sensitivity list is used to select the PSIsafe Sensitivity of the document(s). Documents in PSIsafe may be protected using a Sensitivity class which restricts the document to user(s) or group(s) within PSIsafe. The default Sensitivity is selected in the company setup.
- The Retention list is used to select the PSIsafe Sensitivity for the document(s). Documents in PSIsafe may be protected using a Retention class. The Retention class determines how long PSIsafe protects the document before it may be deleted. Retention is selected in the company setup.
- The Route To list is used to select the PSIsafe workflow rule or user for the document. Documents in PSIsafe may be sent through a workflow or to a user directly. When the document is added to PSIsafe, selecting this option places the document into PSIsafe workflow. The first PSIsafe user in the workflow will be notified they have documents to view. There are no default workflows route built in to Books.
- The Keywords dialogue is used to enter additional keywords to be stored as metadata with the document. PSIsafe allows you to search on these keywords using the search feature in PSIsafe. This simply provides another way to tag the document. Some ideas to be used here could be job number, job type, or customer type. There are no default values for keywords, they must be entered for each individual document.
- The Title Addition box is used to enter additional information for the document description when the document is added to PSIsafe. PSIsafe allows you to search on document descriptions using the search feature in PSIsafe. It’s simply another way to add descriptive information to the document. Some ideas to be used here could be job number, job type, or customer type. There are no default values for the title additions, they must be entered for each individual document. This option is not available on all input panels.
- The File Document as Attachment checkbox allows you to attach the current document to a parent document when it is filed in PSIsafe (Figure 23).
Other QuickBooks Entry Options
The standard transaction options are obvious from the QuickBooks Entry menu. There are a few other options available for the user which make life easier when using Books. First is the ability to add a customer or vendor. These allow the user to add/modify a new vendor or customer directly to QuickBooks without having to switch applications. These options will provide a screen, such as Add a New Vendor (Figure 24). To modify a vendor/customer select the current vendor/customer from the drop down list. Enter any changes in the appropriate boxes and then select where to add this new vendor/customer. To add a new vendor/customer select the Add button. To modify a current vendor/customer select the Modify button. When the add/modify function is complete select the Done button to exit the task.