Step 3: Document Indexes (Records)
This section of PSIsafe Management was previously called "Naming Segments" and covered the ability for PSIsafe to generate a title for the filed content based on preset parameters. In PSIsafe 12, with the introduction of Document-level indexes, Naming Segments are now generated based on previous criteria, with some new additions. Explore the list of options below to discover what best suits your needs.
Index Name - Label the index field with a name, which will be viewable in the Filer window to the left of the fillable field area, as in the highlighted area in the screenshot below:
Data Type - The type of field to which the input data should conform. Here is a breakdown of each Data Type:
- Text - Text fields may contain up to 255 characters and can contain any letters, numbers, or symbols.
- Integer - Integer fields can contain up to thirty (30) numbers within the field.
- Currency - Currency fields contain monetary values for financial purposes. PSIsafe currently supports the dollar sign ($).
- Date - Date fields have dropdown Date Picker interfaces and conform to the date formatting of your choice.
- Boolean (Checkbox) - Boolean fields are designed to create true/false statements that can be indicated with a checkbox. For example, one could indicate whether a certain variable applies to that document, in the example above, whether a tax formula had been applied or not.
- Decimal - Decimal fields can contain decimal values up to thirty (30) decimal places beyond the whole number.
- Memo - Memo fields are larger text-entry fields that allow for more information to be written in memo style.
- AutoNumber - AutoNumber is a new data type to PSIsafe 12. The AutoNumber data type is an automatically generated number based on the number of filed document records with this specific template. There are a few scenarios where sequential tracking of the number of documents is a valid data type that should be automatically populated. For example, to keep track of the number of tickets related to a specific subject, or in a customer service or help desk scenario, or to keep track of the number of filed documents of a specific type. The AutoNumber will always be updated on successful filing of content, so in some circumstances, it could change midway through the filing process. This happens if the filer is open, and another item is filed by a secondary user before the primary user completes the filing process. In this case the system will prompt the user in one of two ways. These prompts will only occur if an AutoNumber is actually used in the title.
If "Enable Updating" is checked a new title is generated and saved to the database. The user is informed of the change showing both the old and new titles.
If "Enable Updating" is unchecked, the system cannot automatically generate the new title. The user is presented with a dialog, telling them what the change in AutoNumber was, and allows them to update their title if they need to.
Default Value - Set a default value that will always appear in this field when filing content. For example, you could enter a value that will remain in the field unless manually changed, or enter a prompt for the user to enter a specific value (e.g. enter name here, enter ID number here, etc.)
There are a number of predefined segments – select any of the provided definitions including, dates, PSIsafe user names, or PSIsafe folder indexes. Using folder indexes is a quick way to fill out relevant information based on the location where it's being filed.
Format - Set a format for the values input into this field. Formats are used to provide a mask, so data is entered in a uniform manner (such as ID numbers, Phone Numbers, etc.) For example, Date Fields can be formatted to be YYYY-MM-DD or YYYY-DD-MM, and so on.
Required - Indicate with an Asterisk (*) that the field is required. This field must be filled out to complete the record entry in the Filer window.
Unique - Indicate that this field is unique, and the value will not be repeated.
Index Level - This feature is new to PSIsafe 12, and allows users to specify whether their multiple records across a document should apply an Index level as Document or Line Item:
- Line Item - Line Item index items work exactly as before. They are prompted on every line during filing and can be changed at will
- Document - Document index items are “shared” across an entire document. When filing only the first document index line can be edited. Any changes made to line 1 Document Indexes are reflected in all subsequent lines. Indexes from line 2 on show the values, but are disabled from editing.
Sticky - This feature is new to PSIsafe 12. This option allows users to specify field that will hold a value in place (sticky) between filing one piece of content to the next. The value remains in place for each subsequent content import to reduce the amount of redundant data entry required during the filing process.
Tab Skip - When the user is filing content in the Filer window, this field will be skipped when "tabbing" via the Tab button from field to field. The Tab Skip check box is used to skip the associated segment when entering information on the Filer window. This is useful if the segment is automatically populated and needs no further user intervention. Using the tab key will cause this field to be skipped. This speeds up data entry.
Pick List - Pick lists allow users to pick from a premade list of options, or manually input information as needed. This feature is a powerful option for expediting your filing process. The Pick List screen, initiated by selecting the ellipses "..." button on the right side of the screen for a text field, has a few options:
- Allow Clients to manually update the list - This option allows users to manually type in a field as well as select a potential option from the dropdown list.
- Add/Edit/Delete - Add a new item to the list, highlight and edit an existing item, or delete an item.
- Sort - Sort by item names, ascending. This allows you to quickly organize a list alphabetically.
- Up/Down - Move an item up or down on the list.
- Import/Export - Import a CSV spreadsheet or TXT document containing a list of items. Exported lists will be created as CSV spreadsheets.